Curated by The Philadelphia Lendry and invited artists.
Initially conceived by Christian Cummings and Doug Harvey in 2006, inclusion in the exhibition is based on invitation by someone who admires your work. Each artist invited then invites ten other artists whom they admire, and so on. This email invite will circulate for thirty days, at the end of which each artist will install their own work on the floor at the Basekamp space, home of The Philadelphia Lendry.
This exhibition is rooted in the ideals of inclusion, and highlights the social nature of the world. Chain letter offers exponential potential to represent all artists that are currently working and admired by their peers. Chain Letter mimics communication today; and the way in which information is passed. The outcome will be a testament to the power of connectivity within society at present.
The Philadelphia Lendry is particularly excited to be a co-curator as part of the large network of connected exhibitions. We plan to accession donated works from the Chain Letter exhibition at Basekamp to the Lendry collection, making them available on loan to anyone who joins the Lendry.
Other cities worldwide will be participating in the Chain Letter exhibition including London, New York, Johannesburg, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Zürich, Boston, Paris and Seoul
INFORMATION FOR PARTICIPANTS
- Letter: Make sure you have forwarded an invitation to 10 artists you admire.
- Install and Opening: Show up to The Philadelphia Lendry at Basekamp (723 Chestnut St, 2nd Floor) on Saturday, July 16th between 10:00 am and 6:00 pm to install your work. Celebrate with us at an opening reception from 6:00 to 8:00 pm. Every participating venue around the world will have their opening on the same day.
- The De-install: If you would like to claim your work, return to Basekamp to de-install your piece on Sunday, July 17th from 10 am to 2 pm, OR choose to contribute your work to The Philadelphia Lendry public collection. If you leave your work in our care after 2 pm on July 17th, we will accession it to our collection, available for loan to Lendry members. That’s it!
* If you choose not to contribute your piece to the Lendry, you must make your own arrangements to install and de-install on the appointed days. We do not have the ability to make special arrangements for your work.
Non-local participants are welcome to participate if they wish to send us work. The Lendry asks that folks keep in mind the following:
- Returns: We cannot ship your work back to you or make other arrangements to return your pieces. Please only ship work to the Philadelphia Lendry if you wish to contribute the item(s) you are shipping to The Philadelphia Lendry public collection.
- Costs & liability: We ask that you assume the cost of shipping and insuring (as necessary) what you are sending. The Philadelphia Lendry cannot assume responsibility for loss or damages.
- Shipping tips: We cannot guarantee that someone will be available to sign for or receive your package. Please send via United States Postal Service ONLY, so that Postal Delivery may leave the package in the Basekamp lobby for us. It would also be helpful if you would email email@example.com so that we know to expect your package.
Address for packages:
The Philadelphia Lendry
723 Chestnut Street, 2nd Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19106
Thank you members and friends!
Follow up from the Philadelphia Lendry: